Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Whole Wheat Bread

I used to grind my own whole wheat (not able to do that in Belgium) and loved this recipe. I'm still working on getting it right with the VERY course whole wheat flour I buy at the store (next time I'll mix in some pastry flour and see how that goes). This is the Bosch Universal recipe. It was originally made 6 loaves, but I scaled it down to 1.

1 1/2 c. warm water
2 t. instant yeast
1/2 T. salt
2 T. oil
1/6 c. honey
1 1/2 t. vital wheat gluten
3-4 c. whole wheat flour

I used to throw everything into a bread machine and put it on the dough setting. We got rid of the bread machine because we weren't sure what space was going to be like here, so now I do it a little differently.

Mix wheat flour and yeast together in the bowl of an electric mixer (or big bowl if doing it by hand). Add warm water and mix to paste consistency. Cover and let rest for 10-15 minutes. Add salt, honey, oil and gluten. Mix and add flour until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Let the mixer knead the dough for 5 minutes. Form the loaf and put into a greased loaf pan. Spray the dough with some cooking spray, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until double. Cook bread at 350 degrees (175 C) from 35-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment