Monday, July 12, 2010

Homemade Flour Tortillas

(adapted from thepioneerwoman.com)

5 c. flour (I love using the pastry flour, but i would guess all-purpose works too)
1/2 c. oil (I used olive oil b/c it's healthier)
2 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 c. HOT water

Combine flour, salt and baking powder. Mix in oil. Then mix in hot water (hot water makes it mix better). Stir to form a ball, then knead to bring everything together. Sometime I add a little more hot water...it will get really sticky at first until you knead it into the dough. The dough should be very soft but not sticky. Tightly cover bowl and let sit for 1 hour. Break into ball (I get about 25 tortillas from these amounts), cover with plastic wrap or towel and let sit for at least 3o minutes. This is the key...the first time I made them I started rolling and cooking right away and when I got to the last tortillas they started doing the bubbling so LET THEM SIT. Take a ball, roll it out to tortilla size. It will be very thin. I do this on my silpat. Cook over medium heat on the stove for 20 to 30 seconds per side. If anything under cook them so they remain pliable.

Lately I've been using these for:
Breakfast burritos - eggs, black beans, cheese and sometimes bacon, green onions and peppers. Wrap in plastic wrap and stick in the freezer for breakfast. Wrap in paper towel and heat in microwave for 3.5 minutes.
Enchiladas - made using the red enchilada sauce I already posted...I mix some sauce with the shredded chicken and sauteed onions, fill the tortillas with it, add some cheese, stick in a pan then top with sauce and more cheese and cook for 30 minutes at 350 F (180 C).
Fajita's - fill with steak or chicken and roasted peppers and onions.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! How did I not know about this fabulous site?!!
    Thanks for posting Erin, I'm going to try them tonight.
    :)

    ReplyDelete